WAEC Computer 2014
1. The first calculator was built by
a. Marie Jacquad
b. Blaise Pascal
c. Charles Babbage
d. John Napier
2. A similarity between data and information is that both.
a. can be displayed on the monitor.
b. are computer inputs
c. are processed facts.
d. are computer results.
3. The computer hardware can be classified into
a. ALU and Control Unit.
b. System unit and Peripheral
c. Central Processing Unit and Control Unit.
d. Input and Output Units
4. The outcome of a processed data in a computer is known as
a. raw fact.
d. computer result.
5. Which of the following devices is not a micro-computer?
6. Which of the following computing devices did not exist in the pre-computing age to the l9th century?
a. Napier’s bone
d. Slide Rule
7. The computing devices invented by Charles Babbage are
a. Difference Engine and Abacus.
b. Analytical Engine and Slide Rule.
c. Abacus and Slide Rule.
d. Analytical and Difference Engines.
8. In a computer, the sets of instruction that direct it in performing a particular task is called
9. The property of a disk that determines the amount of data it may contain is
b. volume capacity.
c. storage capacity.
d. storage power.
10. Which of the following items best describes the term hardcopy?
a. Print out
b. Written on a hard board
c. Information stored on a hard disk
d. Amount of data
11. Which of the following is not an output device?
12. Which of the following signifies the correct association between a hardware component and its function?
a. Mouse to input
b. Monitor to print
c. CPU to storage
d. Hard disk to processing
Fig. l is a logic gate. Use it to answer questions 13 and 14
13. Fig. 1 represents
a. an AND gate.
b. an OR gate.
c. a NOT gate.
d. a NAND gate.
14. In Fig. l, X, Y and Z respectively represent
a. input. output and input
b. output, output and input signals.
c. output, input and output signals.
d. input, input and output signals.
15. Which of the following software is best suitable for keeping records during national population census?
a. Word Processing
16. A major function of system software is
a. collection of files.
b. translation of machine language into machine code.
c. file management.
d. arrangement of files in ascending order.
17. An advantage of Graphical User Interface (GUI) over Disk Operating System (DOS) is that it allows the use of
18. Which of the following methods is not suitable for securing files?
a. Use of back up
b. Use of antivirus
c. Saving documents without a password
d. Proper labelling of storage devices
19. Which of the following programming languages needs no translator for it to run?
a. High Level Language.
b. Low Level Language.
c. Machine Language.
d. Assembly Language.
Fig. 2 is a System Development Cycle. Use it to answer questions 20 to 22.
20. The path labelled I is the
a. system design.
b. system implementation.
c. study review.
d. feasibility study:
21. The path labelled II is the
a. system design.
b. system implementation
c. study review
d. feasibility study
22. The path labelled III is the
a. system design.
b. study review.
c. system implementation.
d. feasibility study.
Fig. 3 is a flower chart. Use it to answer questions 23 to 25.
23. The part labelled l represents
a. Begin/start symbol.
b. process/action symbol
c. read/write symbol
d. stop/end symbol
24. The part labelled II represents
a. Process/action symbol
b. Read/write symbol.
c. process symbol
d. stop/end symbol
25. The part labelled III represents
a. process/action symbol
b. decision symbol
c. read/write symbol.
d. stop symbol.
26. The acronym HTTP stands for
a. Hyper Text Transfer Protocol.
b. Higher Transfer Text in Protocol.
c. Hard Text Transfer Protocol
d. Higher Text Transfer Protocol.
27. In ring topology, the computer that is allowed to transmit data possesses the
c. access method.
28. The most cost effective and secure way of transmitting confidential messages among the employees of an organization is the
a. electronic notice boards.
d. Social networks
29. The application software which allows information available on the internet to be obtained is called
b. world wide web.
d. internet protocol
30. A modem and a telephone connection are provided. Other things needed to be able to connect a computer to the internet are
a. ISP account and utility software.
b. browser and ISP account.
c. ISP account and network.
d. browser and printer.
31. Which of the following is employed in transfer of data between computers and a network?
a. Fibre optics
b. Male connector
c. Female connector
d. USB Port.
32. Which of the following software can be used for graphic production
a. DOS editor
b. PC writer
d. Acrobat reader.
33. In word processing. the icon in Fig. 4 is used for
b. Line spacing
34. Which of the following items is not located on the MS Word menu bar?
Use Table 3 to answer questions 35 to 37
35. In table 3, the content of cell C5 is
36. The number of cells that contain data in row 1 is
37. Which of the cells in Table 3 contains numeric data with the least value?
38. In changing the storage location of a file, the command to use is
a. ctrl + S keys.
b. ‘save’ command.
c. ‘save as’ command.
d. Alt + F, then save.
39. Which of the following statements is true about registers?
a. It is a storage area around CPU
b. It is situated beside the CPU
c. It is situated beside the memory
d. It is a special high-speed storage area within the CPU
40. The instruction fetched into the CPU is decoded by the
a. primary memory
b. program counter
d. Control Unit
41. The process of restarting a computer is known as
a. cold booting.
b. warm booting.
c. resume booting.
d. restart booting.
42. Evaluate the BASIC statement. LET Z =4*W^2+2*Y given that W = 5 and Y= l0.
43. Given that 2610 = (X)2, X is
44. In hexadecimal number system, B. D, E represent
a. 11, l2, 13 respectively.
b. 12, 14, 15 respectively.
c. 13, 14, 15 respectively
d. 14, 16, 17 respectively.
45. The conversion of 110012 to base 10 equals
46. He transaction file can also be described as
a. master file.
b. movement file.
c. reference file.
d. historical file.
47. Which of the following statement is not true about a computer file?
a. It is very fast to access any record within a file
b. It is created electronically
c. Initial setup is inexpensive
d. File creation and access are less laborious
48. An advantage of sequential access over serial access is that
a. sequential file is slow.
b. sequential file is detailed.
c. sequential file does not use key.
d. individual records can be located more quickly.
49. The use of electronic systems to send an unsolicited e-mail to someone’s address is known as
c. Internet fraud
50. Which of the following ideals is protected by copyright?
c. Expression of ideas
SUBJECT: Computer YEAR: 2014
|1. B||6. C||11. D||16. C||21. A||26. A||31. D||36.C||41. B||46.B|
|2. C||7. D||12. A||17. C||22. C||27. D||32. C||37. B||42. D||47. C|